Monday, January 19, 2009

Remembering the Dreams of MLK



This morning Riley and I listened to Martin Luther King, Jr's famous "I Have a Dream" speech from Washington DC. It is beautiful to hear this set against Obama's inauguration this week and reflect on the progress toward that aspect of King's vision & dream. My kids can't even imagine pre-civil rights America. I can't fully, either, for that matter.

I also listened to another of his speeches that resonates deeply with me, the Riverside Church speech in which he talks about the "giant triplets" of racism, poverty/materialism, and militarism. How sad that we could just change the names of the countries, the types of weapons used, the ethnicities of the victims/"enemies" du jour, and trade "communism" for "terrorism", and this same speech still needs to be heard and acted upon today.

Can you imagine if our children's children could only conceive of all 3 of those "giant triplets" as the stuff of history, long past?

"I don't know about you, I ain't gonna study war no more." -- MLK, Jr


Dreams still waiting to be realized.

No comments: